Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Fine Tuning

My topic, maternal smoking during pregnancy is actually quite broad. There is a lot of research such as the effects of smoking on the fetus in utero, the adverse effects of maternal smoking on negative pregnancy outcomes, the effects of maternal smoking on the development of the child later in life....and the list goes on and on. I was finding so much general information and actually didn't know where to focus, however I found the area of birth weight to be the most interesting, and the most influenced (and preventable) by prenatal smoking.

Maternal smoking increases the chance of having a LBW baby by nearly 50%. I also found through research that having LBW baby means more than having just a small baby. LBW babies have an increased chance of developing illness and disease later in life.

1 comment:

onewingedangel said...

I had the same problem with my project at the start. I chose autism in general as my topic and ended up with a very specific area. It actually makes it a little easier when you are concentrating your area to write a longer paper. I ended up with a well rounded paper and I think you will as well. Good luck.