Friday, May 4, 2007

Expository or Persuasive?

Expository and Persuasive are two very different types of writing. An expository research paper summarizes the relavant information about a topic, and a persuasive research paper argues or proves a thesis; the writer's hypothesis. This kind of research also evaluates a position.

My topic, prenatal smoking: A causal factor in low birth weight, is tricky because I am informing about a topic but also hoping the information tthat I present persuades smoking mothers to realize the dangers, and stop smoking for the health of her baby. Persuasion is writing that appeals to reason, emotion, or ethics (the sense of right and wrong) which my topic deals with in way, but the focus of my research paper is really to inform readers about low birth weight, what it means, and also how smoking is a causal factor negative outcomes. So, expository or Persuasive? I would have to say expository; to explain.

No comments: